I’m going to share with you how to post copyrighted music on Instagram legally, so that your post doesn’t get taken down.
And if it gets taken down, I’ll show you what to do.
How does Instagram detect copyright music?
Instagram’s system will automatically detect when copyrighted music is being played on a post.
Since this is an automated process, mistakes can happen, and music could get flagged as copyrighted and taken down even when you have permission to use it.
What actions does Instagram typically take when copyright music is detected?
- Mute your post and block the music from playing,
- End your live stream, or
- Take down your Instagram post entirely.
However, Instagram has recently rolled out a new feature that pops up with a message that alerts users when copyrighted music being used.
When using this music on live streams, Insta Stories, and other posts, a warning will appear to give the user time to change the music.
This new feature is an effort to avoid Instagram’s automatic interruptions like muting, blocking, or ending of a live stream.
Luckily, Instagram shared some of their Instagram music copyright rules.
Instagram Music Copyright Rules
There is no Instagram music copyright bypass.
I’m sure you don’t want to infringe copyright laws and you don’t want your post to be removed.
So how to post copyrighted music on Instagram legally?
Luckily, Instagram shared some of their Instagram Copyright Music Rules.
Follow these 4 rules and your content should be safe:
- Always post a video when you are sharing music. Instagram says “There should always be a visual component to your video; recorded audio should not be the primary purpose of the video.”
- Keep your video short. Instagram recommends you use short clips of music. They said that “The greater the number of full-length recorded tracks in a video, the more likely it may be limited”.
- Unlimited music for your Instagram Stories and traditional musical performances (like filming a live artist or band performing).
Use Instagram’s copyright free music called Facebook Sound Collection. Facebook / Instagram has created a library of copyright free music and sounds that you can use. If you use their audio, your post will be safe.
Here are other things you can do too:
- Ask for permission. While easier said than done for some artists, it’s always worth the time and effort to reach out and ask the artist if you can use their music before you post with it. The worst they can say is “No”. The best they can say is “Yes” and maybe you get to become friends with a rockstar in the process.
- Give credit in your caption. While this may not prevent the Instagram system from detecting your copyrighted music, it can be helpful in the case of an appeal. If your content does get taken down, you can demonstrate that you did not intend to claim the music as your own, and gave appropriate credit to the owners.
- Collaborate! Talk to local musicians or smaller artists to see if you can work together to create custom sounds for your Instagram videos. Not only will you have copyright free music that you can legally use on Instagram, but you are supporting independent artists at the same time! It’s a win-win for everyone.
- Use royalty free music. Find a royalty free music library, like HookSounds, which allows you to use a lot of different types of music for Instagram (and other social media platforms).
And there is an easier way to make sure you are safe 100% of the time:
Post Instagram Reel videos.
Instagram Reels are short videos (15 seconds). This is exactly what Instagram wants to avoid copyright infringements.
And the best part: Instagram Reels have an in-built Music feature.
You can use almost any songs you want for your video and post it on your feed.
View this post on Instagram
Feed created with @preview.app 😍 by @riskinovianti 💖 Riski has been using Preview for SO long to create her colorful Instagram feed 🌈 We LOVE it! What’s the color of YOUR feed? 💫 is there a color that stands out? Maybe a brand color? Or an overall color vibe? Or is it multi-colored? On this fun note: Happy weekend everyone! ~ PS: If you want to use this song to create your own Instagram Reel video: 1️⃣ Press on the song title “Original…” under our video 2️⃣ Record your video (or upload it from your camera roll) 3️⃣ Post it and you’ll have the song for your Reel video too 🥳 Video ideas to match this song: ⭐️ Your feed colors ⭐️ Outfits colors (show different outfits in different colors – so fun!) ⭐️ Nail polish colors ⭐️ Makeup looks ⭐️ Artwork colors (if you are an artist) ⭐️ Home decor ideas (with different prop colors – imagine different cushions on a sofa for example 😍) Anything you can think of that has to do with colors 🌈 Have fun!!
What can I do if my content has been taken down?
However, Instagram could accidentally remove your post, or it can be “reported for copyright infringement”.
If someone reports your content, you will receive a notification from Instagram.
The notification will give you more information about the issue, like:
- The name and email address of the rights owner who made the report, and/or
- Other details provided in the report
If you think your content shouldn’t be removed and you were not infringing the person’s copyright, you can appeal to Instagram.
Click on this link to see how to appeal to Instagram.
Have fun creating your posts with music!
Other useful links: