Creators could earn money through Instagram.
Or you could “subscribe” to your favorite creators and get exclusive content – just for you.
This is all thanks to the new “Instagram Subscription” feature.
Let’s talk about:
How does the new Instagram Subscription feature work?
Here is how it works:
- The Creator chooses how much they want to charge per month (the “Subscription”)
- You tap on the “Subscribe” button in their Instagram profile to subscribe
What do subscribers get?
You will get access to content that only YOU can see, as a subscriber.
Right now, you can get this content:
- Subscriber Lives: Creators can create Instagram Lives only you can watch. This can be awesome for exclusive coaching, classes and tutorials.
- Subscriber Stories: Creators can create Stories only you can watch.
- Subscriber Badge: You get a purple badge next to your username when you comment on the Creator’s post (you’re showing off you’re a subscriber AND the Creator can see /interact quickly with their subscribers!)
Are there exclusive posts only subscribers can see?
Right now, it looks like Creators cannot post normal posts for subscribers only (like single posts, carousels, videos and Reels).
It seems like they can only post Lives and Stories.
Maybe Instagram will expand and include “Subscriber Posts”? Is that something you would like?
How much is the Instagram Subscription?
The Creators will choose how much they want to charge.
According to a Meta Spokesperson, subscriptions can range from 0.99 to $99.99 per month.
So imagine you are selling a course at $50.
You promote it on your Instagram, and 100 people subscribe.
You could make $5,000 in one month.
Are Subscriptions helpful?
“Creators do what they do to make a living, and it’s important that that is predictable. Subscriptions are one of the best ways to have a predictable income—a way that’s not attached to how much reach you get on any given post, which is inevitably going to go up and down over time.”
This is amazing.
It means everyone could make a living as a Creator, whether you have 1,000 followers or 1 million followers.
Subscription ideas for your account
What content could YOU create and sell on Instagram?
Think private and educational content.
- Private coaching (business coach, social media coach, life coach)
- Private classes / Do it with me classes (fitness, dance, painting, photography)
- Exclusive behind the scenes
- VIP pass to an event
Does Instagram collect a fee?
Will Instagram collect a fee from the subscriptions?
At the moment, no.
How to get the Instagram Subscription feature?
Want to offer a Subscription to your followers?
Instagram is currently testing this feature with a few Creators in the US.
They said they are planning to roll out this feature to more people in a few months.
If all goes well, they want to roll out the feature to everyone around the world.
So we all have to wait.
So, what do you guys think about this new feature?
Big yes or big no?