Are you ready for the ultimate Instagram fall photo ideas list?
I’ve gathered some of the most creative Instagram fall photo ideas.
You’ll see beautiful fall pictures that you can create with leaves, pumpkins, at home and outdoors.
I’ll also be sharing filters (in Preview App) that you can use to create an autumn theme on Instagram.
You can use the filters to make your fall colors pop even more (which is awesome to get people’s attention on the Explore page – if it pops, people’s eyes will naturally go to your photo, and therefore to your account).
And if you need fun and creative captions for fall: Click here.
Instagram fall photo idea #1. Leaf Wings
The first fall photo idea is to create wings using leaves.
Instagram fall photo idea #2. Ombre Leaves
You can also gather leaves of different colors (or edit the leaves individually after) to create a beautiful ombre leaf background.
- “Winter” filter pack in Preview App
- “Retro” filter pack (filter 7)
Instagram fall photo idea #3. Heart Cutout
Another cute fall Instagram photo is to cut a heart in the middle of a leaf.
I found that the “Food” filter pack is awesome for fall photos (especially Filter 1 if you have a yellow leaf, and Filter 4 if you want a traditional “warm orange” feed)
Instagram fall photo idea #4. Leaf Perspective
This is one of the best fall photo ideas you can create because it’s super easy to do and it really grabs people’s attention on the Instagram Explore page.
There are 2 ways to create a photo like this:
- Place your camera far away from you, ask a friend to go near the camera and place the leaf somewhere on you (as a skirt for example) and take a photo, or
- Edit 2 photos on top of each other. Take 2 photos: one of yourself standing far away from the camera; and one of your hand holding the leaf closer to the camera. Edit the 2 photos together using your favorite editing software and you’re done!
Filter recommendations to make your photo pop even more:
- “Orange” Filter Pack: if you want to create a strong, orange Instagram feed (especially filter 1 and 7 in the pack – filter 7 is perfect to create an orange vintage feed).
- “Fun” Filter Pack: to create a colorful, orange feed.
- “Teal and Orange” Filter Pack: Wow, wow wow. These filters are a-ma-zing for fall! If you want to create a strong and very unique Instagram feed, check out these filters. I 100% recommend the Teal and Orange filters if you want make your photos POP on the Explore page. You will definitely catch people’s attention with these colours.
Instagram fall photo idea #5. Magical Flying Leaf
If you love to edit photos, you can create a magical photo with leaves. Imagine the leaves are balloons and you are floating in the sky.
Instagram fall photo idea #6. Umbrella Leaves
Here are 3 different ways you can use an umbrella:
- Stick leaves all over your umbrella like @mrs.juulia
- Stick some leaves around the edge of the umbrella like @lenasaibel
- Open the umbrella and let leaves fall around you like @therubinrose
Instagram fall photo idea #7. Dance under the trees
This is a beautiful classic Instagram fall photo. You can take a photo like this at the start of fall to start your fall content.
Stand next to trees and let their colors fill up your screen.
You can stand in the middle of an empty road. Stand still or move to create more natural movement in your photo.
Instagram fall photo idea #8. Lie down on the ground
Find a spot with a lot of leaves on the ground and lie down.
This is such an awesome picture idea. Simple and fast to take.
- “Winter” filter pack in Preview App
Here’s a before and after picture using Filter 2 in the “Winter” filter pack:
Quick tip: You can check how your edited photo looks like with the rest of your Instagram feed in your Preview App, like this:
Instagram fall photo idea #9. Leaf “snow” angel
One of my favorite photo idea: the “Snow Angel” in fall.
Instagram fall photo idea #10. Hide your face behind a leaf
Find a leaf and hide your entire face, or part of your face behind it.
- “Makeup” filter pack if you want natural colors
- “Cream” filter pack if you want to create a soft and natural feed (Filter 12 if you want the “Blogger” look)
- “Winter” filter pack for different color vibes (orange, natural, brown, vintage)
Here’s an example of a photo using Filter 2 in the “Winter” filter pack. I love how it brings out the oranges and makes the photo look warmer (perfect for fall):
Instagram fall photo idea #11. Make a leaf bouquet
Gather a lot of leaves and hold them in your hand like you would hold a bouquet of flowers.
Instagram fall photo idea #12. Feet selfie with the leaves
Take a picture from above and let the leaves fill up your screen.
Instagram fall photo idea #13. Leaves sticking under your shoes
If you want to get a bit more creative, you can stick leaves under your shoes.
You can write words on the leaves, and then stick them under your shoes.
Or you can cut the leaves into different shapes (like hearts) to make the photo look even cuter.
Instagram fall photo idea #14. Throw the leaves around you
This is such a fun fall photo idea. Just take a bunch of leaves and throw them on top of you, just like confettis.
You can also get friends to throw leaves around you while you stand still.
Instagram fall photo idea #15. Take a photo of a photo
How cool is this photo idea?
All you have to do is take a photo first. And then take a photo of the photo you just took.
Instagram fall photo idea #16. Fall hair
Another super creative fall picture idea I saw is this one:
Lie down on the ground (or in your bed).
Cover your hair with leaves.
This will definitely get people’s attention in their feed.
Instagram fall photo idea #17. Make a heart
Find a place with a lot of leaves on the ground and create a heart shape. Just like you would do with sand on the beach.
Instagram fall photo idea #18. Heart eyes
You can also cute little hearts out of the leaves and place them in front of your eyes for a cute fall selfie.
Instagram fall photo idea #19. Blow a leaf kiss
Place leaves in your hands and blow a kiss to the camera.
Instagram fall photo idea #20. Make a crown with leaves
This is such a fun picture idea. You can do it at home, or you can do it with your friends (it can look super fun!).
Instagram fall photo idea #21. Write on a leaf
You can write a quote, a pun or a poem on a leaf.
Instagram fall photo idea #22. Leaves on the wall
Stick some leaves on the wall to create a fall background for your photos.
Instagram fall photo idea #23. Leaf on the window
Stick a leaf on a window and take a creative photo.
Instagram fall photo idea #24. Shadow of a leaf
One of my favorite fall photo idea: go near a window and take a photo of your shadow holding a leaf (or even a pumpkin).
If you want an orange hue on your photo, you can take the photo during sunset. Or you can use a filter with an orange vibe after (like a Filter in the “Orange” filter pack or Filter 4 in the “Food” pack in Preview).
Instagram fall photo idea #25. Write words with leaves
You can also gather a bunch of leaves and write words with them.
- For a “Brown” vibe: Filter 4, 6 and 8 in the “Winter” filter pack
- “Brown” filter pack
Instagram fall photo idea #26. Sit on a pumpkin
Now let’s look at some pumpkin pictures.
The first idea is to sit on a pumpkin.
- “Orange” filter pack
- “Winter” filter pack
Instagram fall photo idea #27. Sit with the pumpkin
You can also sit next to the pumpkins.
Filter recommendation for a vibe like @luisaborn:
- Filter 8 in the “Orange” filter pack, or
- Filter 4 in the “Retro” filter pack, or
- Filter 7 in the “Winter” filter pack
Instagram fall photo idea #28. Hold baby pumpkins
Find a tiny pumpkin.
Here are some fun photo ideas with tiny pumpkins:
- Hold it next to your head
- Hold in your hands
- Hold them in front of your eyes
Instagram fall photo idea #29. Hide your head behind a Pumpkin
Find a pumpkin that will fit the size of your head.
Tip: You can also draw a face on the pumpkin to make your photo look extra fun and personal.
Instagram fall photo idea #30. Pumpkin on top of your head
You can place the pumpkin on top of your head.
Instagram fall photo idea #31. Pumpkin photo with friends
Here’s a fall photo idea you can do with friends: hold pumpkins in front of your faces for the ultimate pumpkin selfie.
Instagram fall photo idea #32. Carve a pumpkin
You can take a photo or video of yourself carving a pumpkin.
Instagram fall photo idea #34. Pantone leaves
If you are into design or have a creative business, this is a really good idea for your feed.
Instagram fall photo idea #35. Fall nails
Show off your fall nail colors.
- “Nail” filter pack
- “Cream” filter pack (Filter 12)
Instagram fall photo idea #36. Show your fall outfit of the day
You can take frequent fall outfit photos.
- “Winter” filter pack
- “Blogger” filter pack
- “Retro” filter pack (Filter 5)
Instagram fall photo idea #37. Fall outfit flatlay
You can also create a “flatlay” of your outfit.
Lay the outfit in an aesthetic way on the bed or on the floor.
Instagram fall photo idea #38. Fall flatlay
Talking about flatlay, you can also create beautiful fall photos by gathering all things that you love about fall on a table (or on the floor). This is a great fall photo idea at home.
- “Moody” filter pack to create a moody vibe
- “Food” filter pack (filter 4 to create the traditional “warm orange” fall vibes, and filters 9 and 10 to create moody vibes)
- “Winter” filter pack to create a warm brown feed (filter 8 and 9)
- “Blogger” filter pack (filter 10 for a warm, “red-ish” feed that flatlay lovers use a lot)
Here is an example of a moody transformation using Filter 10 in the “Food” filter pack. As always, you need to imagine your entire Instagram feed with the same vibe to make your followers go “wow”. A filter will create the atmosphere on your feed.
Instagram fall photo idea #39. Flatlay in bed
Another flatlay photo idea is to take a photo of yourself in bed, from above your head.
Gather all your favorite props around you like: blankets, sweaters, fluffy socks, pillows, candles, your hot chocolate mug, and a good book.
Instagram fall photo idea #40. Mug shot
What’s your favorite drink during fall?
This is a popular fall photo idea: take a photo of your mug.
You can make it simple, or you can create a whole mood around your cup.
Instagram fall photo idea #41. Favorite fall meal
Are you a foodie too? Take a photo of what you’re eating. It can be an extravagant food flatlay, or it can be a simple photo of your favorite dish on your table. Whatever it is, have fun taking photos of your yummy treats and meals.
- “Food” filter pack in Preview App
Wow, you made it to the end 🙂
Did you find any photo ideas you’d like to try on your account?
Tag us @preview.app on your photo so we can check it out on Instagram!