Let’s talk about Instagram Reels hashtags:
- Should you use hashtags for your Instagram Reels?
- How many hashtags can you use?
- Instagram Reels trending hashtags
- Where to find Instagram Reels Hashtags?
- Which hashtags should you use for your Reel video?
- How to test your Instagram Reels Hashtags to grow your account?
- Should you put Instagram Reels Hashtags in the comments or caption?
If you have a small to medium Instagram account, and especially if you have a business, you should 100% take advantage of hashtags because your Reel video can appear on top of hashtag pages, for a long time:
- Reel videos take a lot of space on hashtag pages, which means that your video will catch people’s attention first.
- Your video will stay on Top of the Hashtag Page for a few days after you’ve posted it, which will help you generate more reach.
Should you use hashtags for your Instagram Reels?
If you are a big influencer, you might not need to use a lot of hashtags.
If you have a small to medium Instagram account (less than 300,000 followers) I would 100% recommend you to use hashtags to increase your reach and impressions.
Hashtags are how people can find your content and how the algorithm can recommend your Reel videos to other people on the Explore page.
We’ve done a test:
Posting Reels videos with and without hashtags.
Not many hashtags = not many views.
30 hashtags = more views.
Instagram Reels trending hashtags
If so, you might wonder if there are Instagram Reels trending hashtags.
Are they hashtags that show all the Reels in one place?
Not at the moment.
Instagram Reels is not like TikTok in the sense that there are no specific Instagram Reel hashtags.
On Instagram, hashtags are like “Google keywords”.
People look at hashtags to find content.
So what hashtags should you use?
You can 100% use the existing Instagram hashtags.
I wouldn’t recommend using #instagramreels only because there’s not a lot of quality, video content on this hashtag page and the right people won’t find you.
It’s better to use quality hashtags for your Reel video.
Where to find quality Instagram Reels Hashtags?
Preview has an Instagram Hashtag Generator with some of the best trending Instagram hashtags for different types of accounts.
You can search hashtags for different types of content, categories and even Instagram communities.
- In Preview, open your caption
- Press on “Find Hashtags”
Which hashtags should you use for your Reel video?
- What your account about, or
- What your Instagram Reel video about, or
- What your ideal customers / clients are checking out on Instagram (if you have a business), or
- What your business or products are (if you have a business)
- If your account is about fitness: use “Fitness” related hashtags.
- If you’re sharing a video of a fun recipe: use the “Food” hashtags so that the foodie community can see your video.
- If you are selling baby toys: use the “Mom” related hashtags so that they can see your products.
If you are a content creator, check out the “Content Creator”, “Creativity”, “Blogger” and “Photography” hashtags in Preview.
How to test your Instagram Reel Hashtags
We all have different accounts and different types of content.
So feel free to mix and match different hashtags and see which ones are working the best for you.
You can see your hashtag analytics in Preview, here:
Instagram Reels hashtags in caption or comments?
We’ve done the test and it doesn’t seem to matter.
So which one should you choose?
I would recommend to leave the hashtags in the caption for 2 reasons:
- Hashtag Analytics: Instagram only recognizes hashtags in the caption if you want to see your hashtag analytics in Preview, and
- Save time: Most people will view your Instagram Reels on the Explore page and Hashtag Pages. When they watch your video, they will only see the first few words of your caption (not the hashtags). So you don’t have to worry about the “aesthetic” for your caption.