We tried this new feature yesterday on our Instagram and it was so much fun! It feels like we’re chatting with you guys. If you are reading this and you are coming from our Instagram community – hello and thank you for the love!! We tried to answer as many of questions as possible and we will do more Q&As in the future for sure ?
Ok, let’s talk about this awesome new feature.
This is how it works:
- You use the Question feature to start a Q&A in your Insta Story
- People who see your Insta Story can type their questions directly from your Insta Story screen
- You will see all the questions people ask when you swipe up in your “Question Story” screen (we’ll show you how this looks like below)
- You can choose which question to reply to by selecting it
- You can type your answer and share it in your Insta Story
- Everyone watching your Insta Story will see your answer and the question someone asked (without showing his/her username)
Ok, now that you have a brief idea of how it works and what it does, let’s jump into the tutorial. We’ll show you some tricks too.
Here is how to use this new Question feature in Insta Story:
1. Open your Insta Story and choose a background for your question
First, open your Insta Story. Like any Insta Story, you need to upload a photo or video. This is going to be your “background” for your question. So what background do you want for your Question?
It can be:
- A photo you take
- A video
- A boomerang
- A special template you create (see this blog post to see cool Insta Story editing apps)
- A background color
We love to use colored backgrounds (just one color). If you want to make a background color too then do this:
- Take a random photo
- Select the pen tool
- Select a color
- Hold your finger pressed on the screen
- The screen will be filled with that color
2. Go in the Stickers section and select the “Question” feature
- Press on the “Stickers” icon on top of your screen
- Select “Question”
- The Question box will appear in your Insta Story
Now let the fun begin.
3. You can change the color of the Question box
To change the color of the box:
- Tap on the box (where the text is)
- Choose a color from the bottom color slider
Choose the color wisely – especially if you like to stick to a color theme in your Insta Story.
The color you choose for your Question box will be the same color that appears in your Answer box (the box that will appear when you choose to answer to someone). They are linked together. You can change the color of the Question box before you post in your Insta Story. But you can’t change the color of your Answer box (at least, there are no options to do that at the moment).
Basically, the color you choose for your Question box is the color that will be automatically used for the Answers. Makes sense?
- If you choose the white (default) box, the answer box will be black on top.
- If you choose the pink box, the answer box will be pink
4. You can change the text
You can also change the text:
- Tap on on the box
- You can write your own text and use emojis too
Here are some ideas of what you can write and how you can start a conversation with your followers:
- Ask me a question
- Ask me anything you want
- What would you like me to post more about?
- What do you like the most about …?
- What is your favorite …?
- Please tell me your recommendations for …?
- What is the best thing you have ever …?
- What should I …?
- What do you think about …?
- Guess … (play a guessing game and see how many people)?
- Where are you from?
Post and wait for people to start sending their questions.
6. How to see the Questions people ask
First, you will see people’s question in your “Activity” feed (where you see the notifications of who likes, comments and follows you).
Second, you can see all the questions in one place in your Insta Story. To see the questions:
- Go on your Insta Story question
- Swipe up
- You will see the most recent questions
- Press “See all” to see all the questions asked
7. How to reply to a question
To reply to a question:
- Tap on the question you want to reply to
- Select “Share response”
Quick tip: You after you press on “Share response” , you can change the background of your Answer Insta Story. The background can be:
- A solid background color again, or
- Your own video, or
- Your own photo, or
- Make a boomerang or any other fun videos using Instagram’s features
To upload a photo or video from your camera roll, press on the “camera roll thumbnail” that is on the bottom left corner of your screen (see the screenshot below).
And also: You can add a link (to your website for example) or IGTV video. To add a link, press on the “link” icon on top of the screen.
8. Type your answer on the screen and post!
And that’s it! We hope you found this tutorial useful. If we missed anything or if you found any other tricks, please share with us in the comments below.
What do you think about this new feature? ? or ? ?
Oh thanks so so much for this article ! As always your tips are sooo useful ?.
Thanks a ton for the question ideas part ! I’ll use it for sure ?.
You’re so fast! ? We didn’t even have time to tell people about this blog post yet. Super happy it’s useful. See you on Insta Samuel!
Haha yes I couldn’t wait for the article and the email so JUST IN CASE I’ve checked the blog and it was already there ??.
Wow! Amazing new feature! Thanks for the article, it’s so up to date ?
Although I did not understand how to change background of to my Answer Insta Story. I click Share responce, and that’s all I see, like no option to change background ? https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/9d00bf944cc2b980c80c288a7d7b3a0d105641a98ac5ab7cdc706067542f96d0.jpg
So weird! I can see you don’t have the little “thumbnail” button to go to your camera roll. It’s supposed to be on the bottom left corner of your screen. Maybe Instagram has not rolled out the full feature to everyone yet? Are you on an iPhone or Android?
I am on Android. Maybe they haven’t updated the feature for Android yet.
I can’t change my background when I answer the questions. Do you know if people have the same problem?
Yes other people are saying the same. We’re trying to figure out what’s going on. Are you using an iPhone or Android?
Thanks!! I’m using Android
We will let you know if we find out what’s going on. Maybe Instagram has not rolled out the full feature to everyone yet. Does your screen look like the one Smai-LA shows in her comment below?
Yes! The same one.
Ok! It might have something to do with it. Maybe the feature is different on Android right now. You might get the other tools a bit later.
I am unable to put another background for the reply…
I don’t get the option to change my background on my answers or the link Icon…
Is this only available for IOS?
Yes it might be available for iOS only at the moment. Usually Instagram rolls out the features slowly to everyone. You might get it soon 🙂 keep your eyes on your Instagram updates.
When I answer a question there’s no camera roll thumbnail. The “Save” option is there. Note: I’m an Android user
Did you find a solution there ? Same here.
I guess its for Ios only im using Android i cant change the background 🙁
to change the colors the option is on the top and not the bottom and you only get like 5 colors.
When you share a response does that person’s face appear or are the answers anonyomous when you share them?
Hello! Sorry for the late reply 🙂 no the person’s face will not appear. The answers are anonymous. The only thing that will happen is that the person who asked the question will receive a notification that you replied to their question. This way they don’t miss your answer.