In my previous blog post I talked about the 9 types of Instagram hashtags you should be using for your hashtag strategy.
I explained how important it is to use a mix of these hashtags and also touched on hashtag density – a very important concept.
Hashtag density is a cool word to talk about how much a hashtag is used on Instagram. It’s the total number of posts linked to a hashtag.
Why bother with hashtag density?
Because density dictates the level of competition, engagement (likes & comments) and the chances for you to be featured on other people’s account.
In this article I will tell you:
- How to find a hashtag’s density
- How to use Instagram hashtags based on their density
- What is a “good” low or high hashtag density
- How to find low density Instagram hashtags
1. How to find a hashtag’s density
It is a good habit to look at how many posts are linked to a hashtag.
You can do your quick hashtag search in Preview app:
- Type a hashtag you want to use (like #travel)
- See the automatic hashtag suggestions provided
- They are ordered in descending order (from high density to low density)
This order will make it easier for you to choose a mix of hashtags.
2. Use Instagram hashtags based on their density
High density = A lot of posts (+ 1 million)
= a lot of competition = harder to rank
= be part of a larger picture
Low density = Not many posts (less than 1 million)
= lower competition = easier to rank to the Top Posts
= small tight-knit community
I recommend to use a mix of high density and lower density hashtags when you plan your hashtag group.
High density will help you be in the category you need (example: travel). It will get you a few likes.
And low density hashtags are awesome to target specific people (who are likely to be using the same niche hashtag).
The likes coming from these niche hashtags will be very valuable. It is a great opportunity to make new friends and connections.
3. What is a “good” low or high hashtag density?
I wish I could tell you a number. But it really depends on your industry and niche.
Usually a hashtag below 1 million is a good one, in my opinion.
But it really depends. If your niche is very small, then your high density might be the low density of another industry.
Do you understand what I mean?
Let’s take an example. Let’s say I’m a travel blogger.
I will choose a mix of:
- High density hashtags like: #travel (162 million posts), #travelblogger (5 million posts)
- Low density hashtags like: #travellover (394,000 posts), #exploreeverywhere (65,700 posts)
4. How to find low density hashtags
I strongly recommend you get into low density hashtags. I love low density hashtags because:
- You can find people who love the same things as you
- It is easier to be seen by other people
- Less competition
- Easier to rank on Instagram’s Top Posts
There are two ways you can find low density hashtags.
1. Do your research
Low density hashtags can be found as:
- Branded hashtags
- Community hashtags
- Niche hashtags
I strongly recommend these two blog posts:
The “Instagram Hashtag Funnel” for the different types of hashtags
How to search the best Instagram hashtags
2. Use the Instagram Hashtags Generator
If you don’t have the time to do your research, check the Hashtags Generator in Preview app. It’s an Instagram hashtags search tool.
We’ve done the research and put together all the top Instagram hashtags by categories.
Each category has a mix of high density and low density hashtags.
+400,000 Instagrammers are already using Preview App to edit, plan & schedule their feed. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out.
Thank you for this post ????????
You’re welcome! ???? I’m so glad it’s helpful Niharika!
This is sooooo helpful! Thank you!
Yayy!! You’re welcome Corinth! Super happy you like it!
This makes total sense! Thanks for explaining the value of the low density hashtags – especially when paired with high. I had tended to go with high only. Time to mix things up!
Hey Kathy! Thanks for coming from Insta all the way here. So happy you found this article useful! Have fun mixing things up.
I added this app by mistake please cancel and refund. Thank you,