Let’s get straight into it: How to get more followers on Instagram for business?
Here are 9 strategies (that work) to get more followers on Instagram:
- The keywords in your username, name and bio
- Mix these content types
- Create Instagram Reels
- Keywords in your captions
- Choosing your posting schedule
- Hashtag engagement hack
- Get noticed by other people’s followers
- Target “Likers” and “Commenters”
- Instagram Story strategies
- Copy this Content Plan (bring the strategies together into an actionable plan).
Use one or more of these strategies.
If you have any questions, just ask me in the comments below. I’ll be happy to help.
1. Optimize your Instagram username, name and bio
Instagram is like “Google”.
They both love keywords in order to show your content to people.
Your Instagram username, name and bio act as keywords.
Why keywords are important:
- It is how new followers can find you. When people type something on the Instagram search bar, Instagram will automatically suggest accounts based on the keywords that are in your username, name and bio.
- Your Instagram page can appear on Google too, if people search for something on Google.
So what keywords should you put in your username, name or bio?
Keywords that describe what you do or offer.
Let’s say you have a handmade jewelry business. Here is how you can optimize:
- Your username (optional – but beneficial): Add “jewelry” in your username. Let’s say your brand name is “Sunny”. Then you would add “jewelry” after it. @sunnyjewelry.
- Your Instagram name (must do): Add the words “handmade”, or “jewelry”, or “handmade jewelry” in your name if possible.
- Your bio: Describe what you offer, your passion, who you are, and / or who it is for.
2. Create content that inspires, educates and sells
This is the most important thing you can do to get more followers on Instagram for your business:
Creating awesome content.
Or if you feel like you are not growing anymore: improving or changing your content.
New followers will see your feed first. If they like what they see and can find value: they will follow and/or buy.
So your content is KEY.
What content to post?
- Create content you would want to see. Think of any photo or video you want to take. Jump on Instagram or Pinterest to get inspiration from other creators. What catches your attention will catch other people’s attention too.
- Create content that helps your followers. Share tips, tricks, advice to position yourself as an expert and helper.
- Embrace your unique personality. Don’t be afraid to be different. It will make you stand out from the crowd. Trust your ideas. Go for it. Start planning your posts.
Need some guidance?
Not sure what to post?
Here are 6 powerful Instagram content ideas you can use:
- Customer focused
These content ideas can get you more likes, comments, saves and shares. Which can translate into more new followers.
You can choose to focus on one type of content only. Like entertaining content only. Or you can choose to mix different content types.
For example, let’s say you are a social media manager. You can choose 3 types of content:
- Educational: social media tips and news
- Personal: so your potential clients get to know you
- Promotional: share results you got for your clients (before and afters, analytics, etc…)
Want post ideas for each type of content?
Check this blog post.
New to Reels and not sure what to post?
It doesn’t have to be a super complicated Reels. Some of the most viral Reels are the simplest and shortest to make.
Tip: We’ve noticed that we need to post on Reels consistently to see significant growth. If you’re new, you can post 1 – 2 Reels a week. Feel free to create a bunch of Reels in advance.
Use Preview App to schedule your Reels, test your Reels cover images and preview your feed before you post.
4. Add keywords in your captions
Do you write captions?
And do you add keywords in your caption?
Why is your caption important?
Because Instagram has a new feature:
The Search Result Page.
When people type a keyword in the Instagram search bar, they can choose to see:
- Search Results
The Search Result Page shows a mix of posts. It’s like an Explore Page, but refined to your search.
How to appear on the Instagram Search Result Page?
By writing the right keywords in your captions and hashtags.
What keywords should you add?
Keywords that people would type to find a post like yours.
If you sell “handmade gold jewelry”, write these keywords in your caption and hashtags.
Here is an example of a caption:
“New handmade gold jewelry now available in my shop – Link in bio! #handmadejewelry #goldjewelry”
5. Choose a posting schedule you enjoy
You have prepared:
✅ Your username and name
✅ Your content
✅ Your Reels, and
✅ Your captions
Now it is time to choose your posting schedule.
How often should you post on your Instagram feed?
This is a personal choice. And I know many people will have different advice.
Choose a schedule that you can stick to and that doesn’t stress you out.
The goal is to be consistent. Not burnt out.
If you can post everyday: great.
If you can post every second day: great too.
Tip: One of the easiest ways to post consistently is to plan posts in advance. This way, you won’t have to worry about “what to post next”. You can focus on your business, while growing your Instagram account at the same time.
Once again, you can use Preview to schedule your posts, Reels and Insta Stories. Schedule as many posts as you want, for free to set your Instagram on auto-pilot.
6. Use hashtags
If you’re thinking: “Do hashtags still work?”
The answer is a big “YES”.
Look how many new people see posts thanks to hashtags:
What hashtags should you use to get more Instagram followers for business?
4 types of hashtags:
- Hashtags that describe what you sell (like #candle)
- Industry hashtags (candles are in homes, so home-related hashtags, and small business related hashtags so that people interested in buying home good or supporting small businesses can find you)
- Hashtags your ideal customers use (for example, “moms”)
- Location hashtags (if you are a local business and sell locally)
Don’t be scared to vary your hashtags. Use different ones on different posts. Hashtags are all about testing.
Feel free to create your own hashtag groups.
For example, you can create one hashtag group only with hashtags that describe what you sell.
Then you can create another hashtag group with only “small business” hashtags so that people who want to buy from small businesses can find you.
You can mix hashtags. For example: mix hashtags that describe what you sell and industry hashtags.
Tip: Need help finding hashtags?
I’ve done all the research for you, based on:
- What your business is
- Your industry, and
- Who your customers / clients are.
I have added all the hashtags inside Preview – yes Preview again. I am creating the app I need for my own business and I want to help you grow too.
In Preview, open the caption:
Press on “Find Hashtags“:
Type a keyword in the search bar. For example, “Jewelry”:
You will see all the recommended hashtag groups:
To add the hashtags in your caption:
- Press on “Add All” to add all the hashtags in your caption, or
- Press on an individual hashtag to only add that one in the caption
7. Hashtag Engagement Hack
This hack is to:
- Attract the exact followers you want to your account
- Teach the Instagram algorithm who to show your posts to
Engagement is your secret weapon as a business owner.
Especially if you have a small account. Or if you want to attract new, specific followers frequently as an established account.
Do this for 5 minutes everyday:
- Find 1 to 2 hashtags that your ideal customers use
- Go to the hashtag page
- Like a few posts (bonus: go in the “Recent” tab to engage with people who are live on Instagram right now)
- Comment on a few posts (leave genuine comments. Don’t become a bot)
Can you choose more than 2 hashtags?
Yes. I recommend one or two to start if you are new to this Instagram strategy world. I don’t want you to get burnt out. Starting slow is always best. But if you’re feeling extra motivated and excited, go ahead. If you need to slow down at any time, go back to focusing on 1 or 2 hashtags only.
What hashtags should I search for?
Hashtags your ideal customers use. For example, if your ideal customers are moms. Use “Mom” related hashtags to connect with them.
Where to find the right hashtags?
Check one of your followers hashtags on their post. Or use Preview’s Hashtag Finder to find unique community hashtags people use. Remember, the research has been done for you.
Why 5 minutes?
Once again, consistency is better. 5 minutes can be more than enough when you start. This way you can get into a routine, without burning out. If you want to do more than 5 minutes, go ahead. If you need to slow down at any time, go back to 5 minutes.
8. Get noticed by other people’s followers
Another strategy to get more followers on Instagram for business is:
Commenting on other people’s posts, to be noticed by THEIR followers.
Here is the strategy:
- Follow some accounts that have followers who are your ideal followers too
- Turn on your post notification on for these accounts
- Wait for them to post a new post (you will receive a notification, or keep an eye when they post)
- Try to be one the first people to comment. Leave a genuine comment. Be human.
Their followers are going to notice you more and more in the comments section and will naturally go check out your account.
Bonus: Get your comment pinned for ultimate exposure. How to get pinned? Be human. Write a genuine comment you think the person who posted will love. It can be something funny, a compliment, your thoughtful thoughts about the topic, your personal experience. Just be genuine about it.
9. Target “Likers” and “Commenters”
Don’t want to wait for people to find you through hashtags?
Want to be proactive?
Want people to see your account now?
Do this for 5 minutes to get the attention of the right people:
- Find an account that has your ideal followers / customers
- Check who liked or commented on their post
- Press on their username to check the page of the “Liker” or “Commenter”
- Like and/or leave genuine comments on their post
This way, they will discover to your account.
Here are the steps:
10. Use your Instagram Stories to get reposted
Instagram Stories are seen by people who already follow you.
But you can use them to be seen by people who don’t follow you yet: by the followers of your followers.
Instagram Stories are all about nurturing relationships, getting personal and having fun!
So feel free to think of creative Instagram Story ideas to engage with your followers.
Here are 2 powerful Story ideas to get new followers, in a genuine way:
Idea #1: Give shoutouts to your followers, customers or clients.
Feature someone in your Story. Make sure you tag them in your Story so they can re-share your Story. This way, their followers will see your Story. And if they are intrigued, they can become your new followers and customers.
Example, @shopverie frequently gives shoutouts to their beautiful customers:
Idea #2. Create an Instagram Story template.
Here is how it works:
- Share the template in your Story. The template can be anything: a fun game, a “This or That” game.
- Tell your followers to take a screenshot, complete the template and re-share it to their Story. Bonus: if they tag you you can repost their answers!
Make sure you brand your Instagram Story template to make it appealing, so new followers are more inclined to check out your account.
And have fun with it!
How to get more followers on Instagram for business
You’ve made it to the end!
Now, let’s bring all these strategies together.
Here is a Content Plan you can follow. Feel free to save it or create your own plan.
Here is a recap of the 9 strategies to get more followers:
- Optimize your Instagram username, name and bio
- Create content that inspires, educates and sells
- Create Instagram Reels
- Add keywords in your captions
- Choose your posting schedule
- Use hashtags
- Hashtag engagement hack
- Get noticed by other people’s followers
- Target the “Likers” and “Commenters”
- Use Instagram Story strategies to get reposted
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments. I’ll be happy to help!
And if you need help scheduling posts, finding hashtags and caption ideas: